Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The beautiful is as useful as the useful...perhaps more so

Thank you, Victor Hugo.

This is just a small peek at the glamorous world that is a book and record store. People were sometimes envious, but I didn't get to read all day and the books didn't shelve themselves. This is where I discovered huge gaps in my education with regards to literature, music, and pop culture in general. With the help of my esteemed colleagues, I found a few new (and old) things to try.

Sadly, the shop closed, a victim of Internet sales and local competition, but it was fun while it lasted. If I were working a closing shift tonight, here's a few things I might be listening to...

Yo Yo Ma, Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone, "Cinema Paradiso: Looking for You"
Slim Harpo, The Excello Singles Anthology, "Baby, Scratch My Back"
Al Green, Greatest Hits, Belle
The Quintet (Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, and Max Roach), Jazz at Massey Hall, I sincerely hope you do enjoy "Salt Peanuts"
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, 100 Days, 100 Nights, Be Easy
Buddy Holly, Definitive Collection, "Think It Over"
Kinks, Well Respected Kinks, "All Day and All of the Night"
Neko Case, The Tigers Have Spoken, "If You Knew"
Wilco, Being There, "Say You Miss Me"
Galaxie 500, On Fire, "Strange"
Buena Vista Social Club, "Viento Anos"
Radiohead, OK Computer, "Electioneering"

Go on, be a daredevil. Pick up a book just because the cover intrigues you, or buy a CD just to find out what a song is about. Don't be a slave to others' tastes. You are so much more interesting when you know something I don't know. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment