Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Everyday I'll Write the Book

Writing a novel is a terrible experience, during which the hair often falls out and the teeth decay. Flannery O'Connor

Oh goody. Something to look forward to...

I have just spent an evening in the company of other aspiring writers. Some of us have decided to take up the challenge presented by the Office of Letters and Light, a group that sponsors National Novel Writing Month. The contest is meant to encourage hesitant writers to dare to write a novel of 50,000 words in a month (November 1 through November 30). Our group was formed because two friends decided to try it and wanted to bring others along for the developing nervous breakdown experience. The contest leaves no time to edit or to even rethink one's work, merely to see where the writing goes and if one can meet the tight deadline. A great deal of bad writing will be the result, but the point is to get folks to try and to offer opportunities for novice writers to support each other.

I have no idea what I will write, but using anything written in advance is absolutely verboten. One must use original work starting on the first day of the contest. However, we are encouraged to think about it, so I anticipate the anxiety dreams will be even more vivid than usual. Wish me luck. We have a nicely diverse group of folks so far, and discussed some opportunities to meet and work along side each other for that moral support. A couple of members of the group have done this several times, with one "winning" the 50,000 word goal three times.

I was worried before the meeting, but now I am excited. I confess that by nature I am more coward than not, so this will be a first for me. In art classes, I dreaded "critique" day, when other students and the teacher would discuss my work. Most reviews of my work were fair to middling (my work was often too literal for some tastes). In this instance, we aren't judging content, but I can't help but feel my heart creeping up my throat. But what the heck, they're only a few words, right? Right?

Here's the link, for anyone else out there willing to try it. Look under the NaNo Near You to find independent booksellers taking part in "Come Write In" and offering their support. You'll find many other kindred spirits. http://www.nanowrimo.org/

You might want to also check out No Plot, No Problem:A Low Stress High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days, by Chris Baty (the Executive Director of the Office of Letters and Light). Don't disappoint me. Make sure you get your copy from either the public library or your favorite independent bookstore.

Consider this my double-dog dare.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new blog, and good luck with the speed writing.

    ReplyDelete